Pages

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Sociocultural Aspects of Schooling for ELs


One socio-cultural aspect of schooling that I have been addressing not only for English learners but also for many other students is the pronunciation of their names. I have noticed that sometimes teachers don’t make an effort to use proper pronunciation of student’s names. I understand that there is a language barrier and it could be difficult to use the correct pronunciation but we need to make an effort. Many times students are shy or to embarrassed to correct the teacher so it is important that we ask students if we are using the correct pronunciation of there names if we are not sure. I feel it is important because our names are a part of who we are and make up part of our personal identity. This semester I have been making an effort to ask students what name they identify with if different from what is on the roster sheet. I make an effort to use proper pronunciation of all students’ names correctly. It is sad when I come across students that are not proud of their names and change it to be more Americanized.

No comments:

Post a Comment